Wednesday, December 12, 2007

So so yummy....it's del.icio.us

I went to delicious, set up my account, and like so many other things on our list of 23 things, this was really as easy as could be! Now comes the part where I put it all to work for myself. Figuring out the applications of del.icio.us within the library framework is one of the things that make me go hmmmm.....
I was totally enamored of all of the great tags, and sites and helpful applications that I could scroll through and I definately think that I could lose myself in this vortex of information much the same way I lose myself in YouTube. Really, for the curious and slightly bored, this is GREAT. I can get info on how to improve my mac skills, I can sign up for more (non-credit, but) free classes at Yale University. But where does it lead? I need to think about how I can incorporate this into libary work, because as sure as I am that it is a handy tool to have tucked up ones' sleeve, I am equally certain that I can't think of when I might say to the average 10 year old, "Oh, you need information of Vasco da Gama? Well, nobody's published a book on him in 12 years, but I know that del.icio.us has this great link/mash-up." Yipes. Maybe I should go see if they do... huh. This could be the answer to my prayers.
Later....
Well, Vasco da Gama brought up 66 links. The most popular return was for netvasco, a soccer team (Spanish?) However, some of the hits were actual information about the explorer, so, all things considered, not bad.

1 comment:

maura said...

hey! great real life example of how to use del.icio.us for a ref question! well done!