Saturday, December 8, 2007

Cousin It, Meet Library Thing...

I really like LibraryThing. As soon as I created an account for myself, I began inputting titles, and that was fun, but it felt a little self serving. I must say, I got a little hung up (read: disappointed) on the fact that I when I was searching for specific editions of some titles, it didn't come with the appropriate cover art. However, when I started using LibraryThing as a reader's advisory tool - wham! it was my new best friend! Now, I'm not saying that I won't use What Do I Read Next? as a searching tool anymore, not at all, however, I found that LibraryThing was remarkably helpful when it came to genre searching for books. As reliable as the bookmarks or tags that the LibraryThing users attached to the books, that is. Which brings me to another point: tagging is so great. And important. I realize I'm jumping to yet another thing on our list of 23, but tagging is so crucial in blogs, Flickr, LibraryThing, if you want to share or find anything... without tags your posts, photos-indeed catalogued books are all aloney, out there on there owny in the vastness of the internet, with no one able to find them, no one coming to see them. Like the island of misfit toys, untagged and unappreciated. So, thanks to all of the LibraryThing users who, so lovingly and accurately tag their books. I love you all. I aspire to tag as conscientiously as you.
My LibraryThing library will continue to grow, no doubt, as time goes on, and I added a short list of some of my LibraryThing books to my blog (long before I wrote this post, but what can you do? I'm blogging NOW, and that's the important thing. Ditto tagging, see below.)

1 comment:

maura said...

tagging is very common, as we saw it throughout many of the tools we looked at. it is the idea of using natural language to find things. i also think of tagging as emotional a bit, that we use our own experience and ideas when we assign keywords.