Friday, December 21, 2007

Putting the Face on Facebook

I know that teens are and have been obsessed with myspace for years, and I think that part of (the roots of) the allure can be found in our country's overwhelming obsession with image and appearance, combined with camera's in cell phones. This is the first generatiion that has been able to take a photo and upload it almost instantly to their myspace page, and so, as soon as school is out, they flock to their computers to see the latest in their ongoing life as photojournalist/subject of photojournalism. They are all media starlets in their own way. I started a myspace page a few years ago, but it has remained largely inactive. I have been slightly more succesful with keeping upwith facebook. I started a page a few months ago, and it's harder to keep up with that I thought it would be...I just don't have the time. But I do it. I checked in today, from my remote location in the Middle East,but had a hard time opening my page. That's okay. That didn't disturb me as much as the angst that went along with choosing my photo. Which face to put on my facebook page? Difficult indeed, for I am usually the one behind the camera, not in front. AND I'mnot really from the generation that is comfortable with the outstretched arm, self portrait style of photography that is so popular. Well...things change. So, after two or three months with a page, I got myself a photo. It's not sexy, or provocative in a cutting edge, artsy sort of way. More of a mugshot, really. Which is closer to what my original "facebook" picture was twenty years ago when Iwent off to school in PA.

For those of you keeping tabs on this... it's cold here. I can see my breath. Inside. But the family is wonderful, gracious and loving, and we are both having a wonderful time. The food just keeps coming, and there are two more children than when I was here last. I still don't understand anything (with the exception of good morning, good night, how are you and may God bless you. ) I smile a lot. And nod. The crisis of the bumped flight got interesting at the airport when we were checking in. Though we were officially bumped, the guy that checked us in put us on that evenings' flight -which was leaving at 9pm. Though they had originally told us 11pm. The time at check in was 8:20. Still had security to get through. My poor husband was as nervous as a kitten. All I could do was make sure that the bags got on the plane. That way, they couldn't leave without us without removing our bags. Long story short, we made it and we're here. Guess what - I've gotta go - it's time to eat. Again. I wish you all a wonderful holiday weekend. May you all enjoy your family's and holiday as much as I'm enjoying mine. Cheers!

1 comment:

maura said...

yes.. the digital self portrait has become something like a folk art. somewhat hilarious.... trying to take one of those without looking like you are.
here's to longer arms!