Thursday, January 3, 2008

It's not 5th Avenue, but it'll do...


Everybody knows that the post holiday sales are mayhem, but if you like a bargain, and don't mind the door buster, 5 am opening crowds, there may be no better time to buy. Here in the middle east, however, this concept has not quite taken hold. No matter, I shopped anyway, and of course, here, bartering is de rigeur. My husband has a great time doing this, and since the language barrier causes a bit of an issue for me, he plays this game alone. Usually, it goes something like this: I spy something I'm interested in, but since nothing here is marked with a price, an inquiry must be made. I can either gesture with my eyes, elbow or with a quick raise of the chin, then wander away. My better half then takes over in due time with his best approximation of the local accent as not to be ripped off completely due to our Americki status. It's better still when one of my sisters-in-law come with us, as they know the price of everything - right down to q-tips. Did you know that gold hit a twenty year high yesterday?? I did. It's small, and, it's an investment, really. It's currency that you wear. So much shinier than stocks. And socks.

1 comment:

maura said...

there is a great quote from sex and the city about investing.
carrie says she doesn't play the stock market, too risky. she likes her money right where she can see it, hanging in her closet!