Thursday, July 8, 2010

I Get So Disappointed...Totally Work Related Blahg

Life in the public sector has it's rewards, don't get me wrong. There are things about working with the public that I absolutely LOVE. For instance, in my job, you never know what will happen next. I happen to think that this is pretty cool. As in, okay: what have you got for me? Granted, some of the time, I'm sitting on my butt reading a book, or reviews, or I'm organizing a book collection so that someone can actually find something, but then there are the occasions when someone will come in looking for something like different - say, books on pre-Socratic philosophers for children. And I have to stop and think: Philosophers before Socrates??? For kids? Hmmm... and then - wham! I get it!, Aliki wrote a book on Diogenes, would that qualify? Who are some others? And I'm off on this random tangent that keeps me busy for another 10-15 minutes. In this way, my job is pretty cool. I mean, I wonder about the teacher, what their expectations were of the material and of the kids; I wonder if the kids will get it and if they'll care - will it resonate? Or is their teacher whack? I figure that the library's raison d'etre is to put the books out there. Hope someone wants them and knows how to purpose them, but - hey - philosophy for 7-8 year olds is tricky.

Turns out, so is managing a box of crayons. My library has been undergoing a MAJOR, multi million dollar renovation. This process took YEARS of planning and, once the money was (apparently) in place, costs had risen so much that they had to scale back the original plans and downsize. I have no idea what the original concept would have looked like, but what we've gotten is pretty nice: totally new layout with expanded and upgraded spaces, new everything: carpet, bookstacks, computer monitors and study carols to provide privacy and the furniture!! Oh, we have microfiber couches for the families to sit on and read together and they are the most gorgeous colors! But not pretty enough for everyone, apparently, because when I was picking up the books that had been abandoned on the floor and left on tables, I discovered that someone-or several someones- had decided to color our brand new furniture with crayons!
Huh.
Now, the library was quite busy tonight - every time I looked around the seating and play area was fairly well occupied by children and parents alike. Not every seat was taken, but it was indeed quite crowded. My question is: how did this happen? In a crowded room filled with adults and children, how did so much furniture get defaced? And not for anything, but NOBODY MENTIONED IT TO THE LIBRARIAN ON DUTY - that would have been me. Even if they hadn't seen it happen, if they had come afterwards, but seen the damage, you think that SOMEONE would have at least mentioned it?! I mean, there is CRAYON ALL OVER THE FLIPPING SOFA!!! AND CHAIR! THEY ARE UPHOLSTERED! What is wrong with people? Do they let their kids destroy everything in their homes? or is it just destroying other people's stuff they have no issue with? I have a news flash for them: This is THEIR library. This renovation was a long time coming and they probably wont see anything new for another 30 years. I've never seen this level of disregard before. It's sad, really.

No comments: